Thursday, March 2, 2017

Sparkle Skirts Everywhere


As I was getting ready for my run this morning, I was thinking how funny it is that I put more thought into what I wear running than I do my everyday clothes.  There's just something about running clothes that I love...tell me I'm not the only one?  One of my favorite things?  Sparkle skirts.  I love them, but sadly I can't afford to buy one in every single color.  I recently got a chunk of money that I had planned on spending on some sparkle skirts, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead, I decided to buy a sewing machine and make my own!  I used to sew quite a bit, but haven't in many years.  After reading some sparkle skirt tutorials, I was pretty confident I could pull it off though.  So I headed to the store with my 50% off coupon and picked out some fabric!


I chose this fun blue to match the shirt for my upcoming Pi Day 5k...super fun!  The tutorial I was following said to get one yard, but I went with two yards just in case.  The author is a smaller size than I am, plus I wanted to try making some for my girls!  All said and done, I spent less than $15 on two yard of fabric, elastic and thread.  I'm calling that a win!  We won't count the cost of the sewing machine ;)


The tutorial was super easy to follow and my new sewing machine was amazingly easy to use!  I kind of love it.  So, I started with the toddler size skirt, and it turned out kind of iffy haha!  The 6 year old's skirt was much better since I got the hang of it.  My skirt turned out pretty well, although slightly too big.  Go figure!  I'll need to do a better job of measuring myself next time ;)


Also, I need some black thread for the waistband!  Once all three skirts were done, I still had plenty of fabric left.  Probably enough to do another skirt, but I don't have enough elastic.  I'm trying to figure out what to do with it, any suggestions?  My kids suggested I make a skirt for Monkey George.  Monkey George is my 2 year old's favorite toy.  She goes nowhere with out him!  So, of course, I made one for Monkey George ;) 


So, all 4 skirts are done, and ready for our race in a couple of weeks!  I can't wait to try them out, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures.  Because that's what I do ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment