Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Pretending it's Spring

Yesterday I tried to pretend that it's spring.  The sun was out, the weather was in the 50's (warm for around here this time of year) and I was heading out to run.  I was still in my warn up, when I decided it was way too warm for a jacket!



Apparently I was the only one who thought so though.  Since it was such a nice day, there were quite a few people out on the trail, walking, running and cycling. I however, was the only one in short sleeves.  Most people were even wearing winter coats, hats and gloves!  So maybe I'm just crazy?  I don't know.  But it felt great to get out there and run in the warm(ish) weather!


My long run route isn't easy.  It isn't hard exactly, but it's got some hills.  Well, really just one hill...if you could even call it a hill.  Looking at it in person, it doesn't seem that difficult, but it wears on you.  Especially when you've already been running for an hour!  And since I need to keep my heart rate under a certain level for my long runs, it gets pretty difficult.  I find myself running significantly slower on the uphill portion.  Which is saying something because I'm pretty slow to begin with ;) 


I think the hardest part about it is my head.  I've run this trail so many times, I know exactly where it starts to go downhill, when I have to go back uphill, and when it levels out again.  I suppose with most hills, you can see the top and you know you'll get there soon so you power through.  This is just steady elevation with no end in sight.  I've thought about changing my long run course, but I've decided to just stick it out because I know it'll make me stronger the more I run it.  Embrace the hill, right?!

1 comment:

  1. I work up a sweat when I run so I'm often in shorts while everyone else is bundled up, too. Yes to embracing the hills - just what I did this morning!

    ReplyDelete